Why Furnace and Duct Cleaning?
Is it true it is an essential service? How often should I do it? Learn more about this basic household necessity
Do I need to clean my furnace and ducts?
Dust, debris, pollutants and airborne particles accumulate on a daily basis and create build ups on ductwork, Furnace filtration and any component that deals with heating or cooling your air. The sources of these pollutants are mainly people ( dead skin ), pets ( hair ) and the environment ( dust, pollution ).
As time passes by these buildups start slowing down your heating and cooling systems whether it is by obstructing the fresh air intakes and filters to accumulate in your air vents and ductwork.
Just like your body’s arteries, these buildups around your ductwork and furnace can cause pains to the entire system:
- Cycling dust coming from the ductwork accumulates around the house.
- Cycling smells never seem to go away, no matter how many times you clean
- Fresh air has a hard time getting in and therefore the air in the house might feel stagnant or closed
- Indoor pollution affects the health, especially of those prone to have breathing issues
- Your furnace needs to work harder to push that air around the house. Your energy bills start to be higher for ‘no apparent reason’
- Areas of the house might feel colder than others because of the lack of circulating air …
And the list of issues is long and troublesome.
Furnace and duct cleaning is an essential service to every residence and business or any place really where people or pets inhabit during the winter and summer time.
This service is recommended by most furnace and air conditioning manufacturers at least once every second year. Homes with ‘at risk groups’ or furry pets are recommended to get this service once a year.
Who are the ‘at risk groups’?
We classify these as anyone who might have weaker than average immune systems, be prone to infections or respiratory complications. These at risk groups are:
- Adults over 50 years of age
- All children under the age of 3
- Any person with air borne allergies, asthma or chronic pulmonary disease (CPD).
What are the benefits?
Furnace and duct cleaning has many benefits for the home and business, besides the obvious such as health and safety benefits, there are many other benefits such as:
- Reduced Energy Bills.
A clean furnace and ductwork will increase dramatically the efficiency of your heating and cooling system. First, by eliminating all the debris, dirt and pollutants – air will now flow easier through the ductwork. Secondly, a clean furnace will work much smoother.
- Air Quality.
Your ductwork system is the main conduit of fresh air to your home most of the year. Especially in Calgary, where the long and cold winters force our home to insulate and depend on the fresh air intakes from our ductwork to provide fresh air, it is especially important to keep those ducts clean. Dirty ducts can cause your indoor home air quality to be as much as 70 times more polluted than the outside air!
- Less Indoors Dust.
Dirty air ducts recycle debris and fine particles through the home and therefore, houses with dirty ducts will often find themselves in an ever going battle against dust. This is because all that just keeps blowing away and getting recycled by your air system. Clean ducts will solve that!